Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chemistry Poem

I awaited the start of another lecture in chemistry class one day, already feeling a down-heartened from the news I received just before regarding a test.
Little did I know the prof was going to promptly arrive and tell us the lecture was devoted to calculus. "If you have never taken calculus you can put your head on your desk and take a little nap. Cause none of this will make any sense to you," he said. "But for those of you who have taken calculus, this will be an example of how it can be used in the real world. If you can call chemistry the real world..."
He mumbled this last phrase.
It made me smile, but also silently cry. "Oh great," I thought. "Another lecture I won't understand. Hey, at least he warned me this time!"

I tried to follow along, taking notes for the most part. Though halfway through I let my mind wander for 30 seconds and found myself scribbling words in the margins of my notebook paper. I suppose you could call it a poem, if you would be so generous.

Well the point is, I promised to show it to Italy. So here you go my friend - you are the English major here, perhaps you can make more sense of it than I...  X)

Second Order

Waist deep. Not sure if I'm half in or out.
Jittiring leg with a lead stomach.
Tightening scalp, watery eyes.
Want no one to see me.
Want no one to be me.

Integral to the minus X.
If only my brain could be integrated and not "Xed" out.
Am I making any sense? He sure isn't to me.
Lewit.
I hear ludacris.

Looking with confusion at the scratches made by the chicken.
Red and daunting.
Sympathy. Knowing I can't make it easy on myself.
How. Why.

I'm not perfect.
But neither is Wolfram Alpha!
Then it comes back to me.
Half-life.
Cause I'm only half living...

Decay.
Decompose.
Destroy.
Debunk!
Then perhaps I can half live.

Human scale.
God scale.
I'm diluted.
Middle school amneisa?
Works for my theory.

After 10 there is only 1/10% left.
Yup. Got that covered.
In foil, with a hole for whining substance to escape.
Almost 19 years.
When will the sample be small enough for measuring to be impossible?
You. Tell. Me.

Like the awkwardness of the night or an empty snyders bottle...

Half life. Its a constant.
 _______________________________________________


Here is a piece of a true poem for you, one that I enjoy and is far better than the former...
Proverbs 2
Moral Benefits of Wisdom
 1 My son, if you accept my words
   and store up my commands within you,
2 turning your ear to wisdom
   and applying your heart to understanding—
3 indeed, if you call out for insight
   and cry aloud for understanding,
4 and if you look for it as for silver
   and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
   and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom;
   from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7 He holds success in store for the upright,
   he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
8 for he guards the course of the just
   and protects the way of his faithful ones.  9 Then you will understand what is right and just
   and fair—every good path.
10 For wisdom will enter your heart,
   and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
11 Discretion will protect you,
   and understanding will guard you.

Ep. 4:29  Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment